Tooth or teeth sensitivity is a common problem in dentistry and often treatable with products recommended by one of our Fresno, CA dentists. In some situations, treatment may be required.
Common causes of tooth sensitivity include:
- Brushing too aggressively–erodes enamel
- Bruxism (teeth grinding and clenching)—erodes enamel
- Cracked tooth—allows bacteria to enter the tooth
- Gum recession—exposes too much tooth
- Gingivitis—inflammation of the gums
- Periodontal disease—a serious infection of the gums and ligaments
- Plaque—a buildup of bacteria and tartar
- Prolonged use of whitening agents or mouthwash
- Root infection—requires root canal therapy
While mild tooth sensitivity may not be serious, it is still important to schedule a dental exam to make sure there is no underlying condition causing the issue. This problem could indicate a gum infection or other dental diseases that require immediate treatment.
One of our dentists will perform a thorough exam, order x-rays if no recent films are on file, and take the necessary steps to eliminate or reduce your sensitivity.
If you’re experiencing ongoing tooth sensitivity, it’s important to determine the underlying cause. Get in touch with a member of our team to schedule a dental exam with one of our Fresno, CA dentists as soon as possible.